Why is September my favorite month in Auburn?
I love sleeping with the windows open and it’s chilly enough for a comforter.
I love returning to the rhythm of the school year.
I love that fun events start happening at Live Oak Waldorf school
I love that clients come back to their regular bodywork schedules after their busy summers.
I love that it’s time for Burning Man and seeing all the adventurers traveling on I80! It’s so much fun!
I love that I start thinking about crafting, baking and Christmas (whether or not I actually bake or craft is another story!).
I also love September because it is the month of the Sapphire.
I bet you haven’t heard all these fun facts and speculations about the beautiful Sapphire birthstone.
(I now have a wonderful hot stone massage gift certificate offer available for all those with the Sapphire birthstone, available here )
Sapphire is composed of the mineral _corundum_, an aluminum oxide. Other minerals such as iron, chromium and copper help determine it’s various colors, which can range from vibrant blues to brilliant golds.
Sapphire is the traditional gift for a 45th wedding anniversary.
I have not verified this information, but the stone is also rumored to have been one of 12 precious stones set in the breastplate of the high priest of Israel.
Wikipedia reports that some linguists propose that it derives from Sanskrit, Shanipriya (शनिप्रिय), from “shani” (शनि) meaning “Saturn” and “priya” (प्रिय), dear, i.e. literally “dear to Saturn”
There are so many myths and legends associated with September’s birthstone, as well as some healing properties. Just for fun, and definitely not for science, here are a few!
* Sapphire is said to be the stone of wisdom, worn by spiritual leaders to symbolize a connection to divine wisdom.
* Worn close to the throat it was considered to help with communication by opening the throat chakra
* Helps relieve depression
* Guards against evil and poisoning
* Symbolizes purity, wisdom, dignity, loyalty, serenity faith.
* Treats blood disorders and heart conditions
* Is said to help insomnia if you place it under your pillow
Do you know anyone with a September birthday? Though I can’t give them a precious sapphire, I’d love to give them some luxurious pampering with my special birthday hot stone massage offer! Gift certificates are available or scheduling is available online! This offer is for a a relaxing, luxurious 75-minute massage including hot stones, hot towels and essential oils for only $75 ($100 value).
Latest posts by Jessica Gutierrez (see all)
- Celebrating 10 years of massage & bodywork in Auburn California - August 19, 2019
- Grounding energy in chaos - January 20, 2019
- CranioSacral & Massage Cupping Sample Pack - December 25, 2018